1737 S MICHIGAN AVENUE CHICAGO
1737 S MICHIGAN AVENUE CHICAGO is a existing 1920’s era automobile showroom building located in the Motor Row neighborhood of downtown Chicago. A leading development and construction company retained Todd Halamka + Partners to update their headquarters home. A Master Plan for the entire facility was first organized anticipating projected company growth and general updating of the facility from an initial build-out nearly 20 years ago. A floor by floor implementation is envisioned on an annual basis while continuing at full occupancy. Architecture and Interior Design Construction begins the Spring of 2019.
An existing interior slot atrium between the third and fourth floors is now extended to the second floor via a new communication stair emphasizing daylight, views and way-finding clarity. A careful, surgical intervention within the heavy timber and steel architecture is employed to celebrate the automobile showroom heritage while introducing floor-ceiling interior glass partitions that reveal the integrated and collaborative work process of the company. Existing workstations are extensively modified to reduce height in combination with new open office and hotellng spaces, as well as new conference and training rooms. The introduction of updated stone, glass, carpet, furniture and art aim to reinforce this company’s strong commitment to their staff and to the people they do business with.